Help the sea lions from home:
Both The Marine Mammal Center and the Aquarium of the Bay have compiled a list of simple things you can do at home to make a difference. Adopting one or several of these activities can help protect our environment and the aquatic home of the California sea lions:
- Eat from local restaurants that are part of the Aquarium of the Bay’s Seafood Watch Alliance
- Reduce the toxins you use on your lawn and garden, as these chemicals end up in our waterways
- Bring your own reusable canvas or cotton shopping bags to carry your purchases
- Reuse paper or plastic bags to help reduce trash
- Dispose of fishing lines and lure properly to help keep them out of the oceans. Animals can mistake them for food or become entangled in them
- If purchasing beverages attached with “six pack” plastic rings, cut the rings apart before throwing them away. Birds, fish and small animals can get caught in the rings
- Learn MarineBio’s “100 Ways to Make a Difference”
Help the sea lions by volunteering:
The Marine Mammal Center
The Marine Mammal Center currently has a volunteer force of over 1000 individuals throughout their 600 mile operating range. Volunteers are the lifeblood that help keep The Marine Mammal Center operating and running smoothly. The Marine Mammal Center is the biggest advocate of the California sea lions. There are several fields for which to help including animal care, “stranding” and education, as well as administration, facilities and retail. For some positions, volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, although there are youth volunteer programs available. For more information, visit their website.
Aquarium of the Bay
Volunteers are vital to the operation of all of the Aquarium’s programs; you can make a meaningful contribution to the experience of over half-a-million visitors a year as a volunteer. There are several volunteer roles including education, animal care, divers, water quality technicians and retail. Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older. Shifts are usually 4 or 8 hours in length running for an average of 3 months. For more information, visit their website or contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org.