EAGLE CAFE IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED
Perched above the PIER 39 Entrance Plaza, Eagle Cafe has been a waterfront landmark and haven for the local wharf population since 1928. Today, Eagle Cafe continues to draw a wide variety of guests with their bountiful breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Full bar.
Famous for our breakfast items such as house made corned beef hash, banana pecan pancakes, crab Benedicts and Boudin sourdough French toast with maple butter. For lunch enjoy a killer rueben, pastrami burger, fresh fish tacos or some crab tater tots.
Established in 1928.
As San Francisco lore goes, in 1978 the Simmons family patriarch, Warren Simmons, helped devise a plan with Eagle Cafe’s owners, the Andreotti family, to move the restaurant from its former spot it opened in 1928 on the corner of Powell and Embarcadero to its current home atop the entrance of PIER 39. As the founder of PIER 39, Simmons had a keen interest in making sure the Eagle Cafe was part of the opening restaurant line-up and nothing was going to stop him, including red tape.
The restaurant almost didn’t move anywhere as it was in a battle with the San Francisco Landmarks Board who originally determined it had no historical or architectural merit, however, in a last minute attempt to halt the restaurant’s move to PIER 39, the board suddenly changed its mind. Fortunately, the City Attorney vetoed the commission’s change and the infamous move went ahead.